Skip to main content

Day 145

Breakfast was water.  Total: 0 points

Lunch was a taco made with low fat ground beef, tomatoes, fat free sour cream, and a low carb/high fiber tortilla.  Sides were a half cup of fat free refried beans and a clementine.  Also a glass of milk and two glasses of water.  Total: 8 points


Then I got my bake on before the Skins game.  I made Skinnytaste pumpkin cupcakes and Vicki's Foodies Light Sausage Balls.  So naturally I had to taste test.  Total: 4 points


During the skins game I had six more sausage balls, a cup of carrots with a quarter cup of hummus, tortilla chips, a half cup of healthy mexican dip, another pumpkin cupcake with fat free cool whip, a glass of water, and a glass of milk.  Total: 20 points, which is seriously not bad for a football game  Props to the Superfriends (Robin, Jason, Beckie, Don) for having healthy options!


Then I needed more veggies and healthy oils, so I had a half cup of blueberries and then a spinach, tomato, and olive oil salad, using two teaspoons.  And then tootsie rolls, for no apparent reason.  And a glass of water.  Total: 3 points


Liquids: 7/6  

Dairy: 2/2
Vitamin: 1/1
Healthy Oil: 2/2  
Fruits/Veggies: 7/5
Protein: 3/2
Whole Grains: yes, whole grain tortilla, tortilla chips
Exercise: no, and I really have no excuse
Total: 26/26 points
Weekly Points16/49 for the week


No exercise means no Kate.  We'll give it a Princess Mary.
Princess Mary and Crown Prince Frederik - Wedding Of Swedish Crown Princess Victoria & Daniel Westling - Arrivals

You will remember that yesterday I took issue with Dr. Oz's Ten Weight Loss Commandments.  So here are mine.

1) Eat breakfast.  I'm really bad about this, but yes, it does keep you from eating less during the day and help your metabolism.
Metabolically delicious!
2) Drink water and skim milk.  (Black coffee, skinny lattes, and unsweetened iced tea are also acceptable.)  Why waste calories on juice, whole milk, and soda?  I've already covered my water drinking strategies.

3) Measure/weigh portions.  My food scale gets used every day.  I'm incredibly bad at over/underestimating what three ounces of something looks like.  And I guess you are too.  Same for measuring cups--in fact, we have two sets.
Surprise!  It's more than you thought!
4) Plan ahead.  This is probably the biggest key to success.  Take your lunch.  Know how you're going to get your dairy/veggies/oils/protein in for the day.  Read the restaurant menu before you go.

5) Pick a realistic exercise routine.  If you're going to do P90X once and give up, it doesn't work for you.  Same for running for me.  I know I have to be tricked in to exercising, which is why I like walks (when it isn't cold), wii fit, and yoga.

6) Wait 20 minutes before going back for seconds.  For real.  It's life changing.

7) Know what's actually healthy.  Food labels make this all sorts of difficult for you--all natural means nothing.  Nine grain bread isn't the same thing as whole grain bread.  Dried fruit doesn't do all that much for you.  Trail mix is high in calories.  Restaurant salads are usually full of fat.  Read everything--nutritional info, fitness articles, etc.
This is barely a vegetable.
8) Tell everyone else your goal.  It makes you more accountable.  It also provides you with support.  I have only run across one minor player that keeps trying to get me to eat things that are bad for me.  Everyone else is great.

Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their