Skip to main content

January 5th

The day started out with hitting the snooze alarm 3 times.  But, determined to have a good Monday, I got up and made some green tea with honey, and packed my breakfast and lunch.
Breakfast
  • Half of a mini wheat bagel (55) with Trader Joe's walnut cream cheese (50)
  • Blueberries (45)
  • Green tea with honey (30)
  • 2 glasses of water
Lunch
  • Chicken salad on wheat toast (245)
  • Just a little chicken & veggie soup (100)
  • Avocado and tomato (80)  Have I mentioned I love avocados?  Cause I do.
  • 2 glasses of water
Snack
  • Half an apple (50) I think I ate someone else's half cut up apple in a bag in the work fridge.  If so, I'm sorry!  You can have mine!
  • Turkey jerky (80)
  • Almonds (80)
  • 2 glasses of water
Dinner
  • Chicken Eugene (310 - Don't worry, I only have 1 more portion left, so you won't have to hear about it too much more)
  • Brown Rice (160)
  • Salad (25)
  • Pumpkin Square with Tru Whip (95)
  • 2 glasses of water
So the Pumpkin Squares--these are a cross between a bread and a cake, and they aren't overly sweet (which I prefer, but you may not).  That makes them good for breakfast, dessert, or snack.  Plus you get 4 grams of protein for only 65 calories and 8 grams of carbs.  The other thing I love about this recipe?  If you use a half cup measuring cup, and a 1/2 teaspoon, you're only getting those two things plus a bowl, spoon, and baking dish dirty!

They do have protein powder in them, which you'll be familiar with if you're in to exercising.  I modified this recipe, which calls for things that no normal human can find, like Xylitol brown sugar blend, and oat flour.  You could swap the almond milk for regular milk, just be aware that it'll up the calories a little.
As you can see, I'm a fan of the 1:1 whipped cream ratio.
Pumpkin Protein Squares

Preheat the oven to 350, and spray a 9x13 dish with cooking spray.
Mix together the following:
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of applesauce
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. ground clove
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 15 ounce can of pumpkin
After that's mixed, add:
  • 2 cups flour (I do 1 cup of white and 1 cup of wheat)
  • 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Stir, and poured in to prepared dish.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Makes 24 squares.  These will keep for a few days in a Tupperware container, even longer in the fridge.  They freeze very well--I always freeze them in bags of 4, and then take them out as needed.

Okay, back to total calories today: 1,375.  Exercise...no.  And uugh!  I tried twice to ride the bike even though I had a barometric pressure headache, and it just made it so much worse. Bummer.
I feel ya, Barbie.
For giving it a good try, we'll award today a Crown Princess Victoria.  Hey girl.  Hey.



Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their