Skip to main content

Day 137

A lot of you (okay, like four of you) have asked me how I drink so much water/healthy beverages.  So here are my secrets:
  • buy bottled water (on sale!).  I resisted this for a long time because of the plastic involved, but I wasn't doing so hot with the Brita pitcher, and I promise that I recycle all of my bottles.  It helps me know how much water I have had (1 bottle = 2 glasses).
  • At work, I use a cup with a built in straw.  Straws make it easier and more mindless to drink more water.  You know, because then you don't have to tilt your head back, since THAT's so difficult...
  • I've trained myself to drink water every time I'm at a stop light.  It's like a really lame drinking game!  And since I drive on Route 50 to and from work, that's not hard to do.
  • switched from sweet to unsweetened tea.  I used to drink a lot of sweet iced tea, and it's still my favorite special treat beverage.  I read an article positing that if you switch to unsweetened iced tea for two weeks, your taste buds will get used to it.  The first week sucked, but it worked, and now I don't notice.
  • I also gradually stepped myself down on milk, from 2% to 1% to skim.  Now 2% milk tastes like cream to me.
  • I don't like the taste of soda (every once in a while I want one with pizza or Mexican food) or coffee (I like coffee flavoring, just not a big whole glass of it).  When I drink soda or coffee, I shake for the whole day.  Funsies!
Anyway, I hope that's mildly helpful.  It took a lot of trial and error before I figured out what worked for me.  (Water with a splash of juice?  Nope.  Sparking water?  Nope.  Flavored water?  Nope.)
Remember to recycle!
Breakfast was a cup of rice chex, a half cup of milk, and two glasses of water.  Total: 4 points

Lunch was a cup-ish of Brunswick Stew, a tangerine, a cup of milk, and two glasses of water.  Total: 7 points

Celebration snack was a chocolate chip cookie and a glass of milk.  And what were we celebrating?  Not killing any colleagues, of course.  Total: 6 points
Cookies and milk love each other.  Jesus loves my coworkers.  I'm still undecided.

Dinner was two ounces of ham, a half cup of cheesy broccoli rice, a salad with a teaspoon of oil, and two glasses of water.  Total: 6 points
Broccoli!  Cheese!  Rice!
Then I took a long soak in the tub to try to help my seriously aching calves.  After that, I did some yoga to try to stretch things out, which was only marginally successful at best.  And then I had some British cookies, cheese, and crackers.  It is my understanding that it helps with calf pain, and I don't care what you say.  Total: 11 points

And THEN, because I know you care about my calf muscles SO MUCH, I woke up at 5 a.m. and lefty was throbbing.  I got out of bed and I could barely walk.  So I had some Advil, and iced it.  And now I'm elevating it.  And I guess I'll go to the doctor on Monday.  Eff!
Why, little calf?  Why?!?

Liquids: 8/6
Dairy: 3/2
Vitamin: 1/1
Healthy Oil: 1/2  
Fruits/Veggies: 5/5
Protein: 4/2
Whole Grains: yes, rice chex
Exercise: yes, wii fit yoga
Total: 26/26 points
Weekly Points: 8/49 for the week


And what do we have to say to the nice people today, Kate?
That's right.

Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their