Skip to main content

December 27th - 31st

Tuesday
Breakfast was sleeping.  I regret nothing.
Image result for princess anna waking up animated gif

Lunch was pupusas!  Okay, half of a pupusa, and one and a half tacos.  Don't they look yummy?  They were yummy.

Dinner was supposed to be delicious Pizza Pork Chops from Chef'd, because the recipe had gotten lots of 5 star reviews.  Pretty sure the people that rated it so highly were drunk.  It went in the trash, and I had (mostly) healthy Christmas leftovers instead:
  • Ham courtesy of one of my father-in-laws (lucky ladies have two!)
  • Stuffing courtesy of my grandmother, Mammy
  • The Uggie, made by me, name by my cousin Josh (he doesn't like cranberry sauce)
For exercise I walked a mile, which I know isn't much.  But!  I also cleaned out the garage, organizing everything in to three piles: consign, donate, sell online.  And I already made $10!  I feel like the calories I burned doing all that should count double.

We'll give it a Kate, accessorizing this oft-repeated coat for Christmas with a faux fur collar, two children, and the second in line to the throne.



Wednesday
I did slightly less horrible for breakfast: latte and vitamins!  (I know, still pretty terrible.)

Lunch was Red Lentil Stew from this recipe, whole grain crackers, and sliced veggies (celery, cucumber, tomatoes).  Because I have oil, garlic, and spices (paprika, cumin, cayenne) on-hand, this only cost $8 to make 6 servings!  Also, don't let the name--Vegan Lentil Stew--scare you.  This is good!  You can un-veganize it by using chicken broth/chicken bullion if that's what you'd like to do, or if that's what you have on hand..  Bottom line: it's a healthy, simple to make, easy to freeze, inexpensive option.  Which really, after all those Christmas bills come in and New Year's Resolutions start, I know you want!

Snack was more fresh veggies and a tiny packet of dark chocolate covered almonds from Elephant Trainer.

Dinner was "healthy-ish nachos," which is to say: twenty tortilla rounds, bean dip, cheese, and jalapenos, baked in the oven.  Hey, it could have been worse.

I did not exercise, so we'll give it some Christmas York Sisters.  Actually, they look fairly normal here.  It must have been a Christmas miracle!

Thursday
Latte and vitamins again.  I've been bringing my lunch to work and not eating it.  I'm just not hungry.

Lunch was chick-fil-a nuggets, salad, and a fruit cup.  My Greek coworker's birthday today, so snack was veggies, hummus, and baklava.  We also decorated her office with pictures of hummus, attractive Greek gods, and scenes from Greece.  Then, fortunately for me, she ate the rest of the baklava so that when I went for seconds, there wasn't any.  Hey, it's her birthday!


Dinner was Spicy Cabbage Enchiladas, which were way more delicious than they sound.  Yum!

Not a bad day, we'll give it a Princess Mary, lookin' festive.

Friday
Latte and Advil.  It must have been a full moon (I know it wasn't), or maybe everyone had cereal with a side of angry for breakfast, because things around the office were a challenge.  
I should have just posted this on the water cooler.
Lunch was straight up atrocious in a few ways, which was chips & salsa, half a chicken taco, rice, and refried beans.  I spilled salsa alllll over my white shirt, so I did an interview wearing a sweater that I pinned together with the brooch from my winter coat.  Some super awesome coworkers ran to Tar-jay for me and snagged a white tshirt for me so that I wouldn't look like a hot mess.

Snack was more sliced veggies--tomatoes and cucumbers--plus a Trader Joe's peppermint marshmallow that was hanging around the office.  It was...okay, which is surprising, because usually I lurve everything from Trader Joe's.

Dinner was sesame chicken and rice.

For a disaster of a day, we'll say hello to Camilla.  In fact, we'll review the 3 times she wore a tiara this year.

First up was the State Opening of Parliament, where she wore the Chicken Wire Tiara, I mean, the Greville Tiara.  She paired it with her four strand pearl choker with the large diamond clasp (she has interchangeable clasps, the pink one is my favorite), and pearl pendant earrings.

Then, for the Columbian State Banquet, she literally wore the same thing, except changed the earrings from pearls to diamonds.

But at this month's diplomatic reception, she really changed it up!  No, just kidding, she wore the exact same thing.  OH WELL. 

Today
Breakfast was (all together now) a latte.

Lunch was at Melt, which very deservedly won Best Cheeseburger in the State of Virginia, as well as Gayot's Top 10 Burgers in the US.  I should win a prize for Most Willpower, because I got a Tex Mex Turkey Burger on salad, and only at about 10 fries.

We hung out at Adroit Theory, our favorite brewery, and over the course of the afternoon had sliced veggies (cucumbers & peppers), a little bit of hummus with pretzels, and half a chocolate cupcake from the place that made our wedding cake.  Awwww.

Dinner was a nap, and there will probably be more healthy-ish snacks...no swanky NYE parties for us.  Gotta save cash and calories.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their