Skip to main content

Thoughts on eagles

This is the first in my annual Will Blog for Charity series.  If you enjoy reading, I hope you'll make a $5 or $10 donation (or more!) to the charity walk I'm doing!
____________________________________________

I kind of jetted off to Mexico without explanation, yes?  It was an all-expenses-paid trip from my job, because I won the Presidential Award of Honor for 2014.  Here's my fancy crystal eagle award as proof:

I didn't mention the award until now, because I won it the morning my grandfather died.  I went to the company meeting that morning at 8, knowing that at 11 I'd be at the hospital to say a final goodbye.  I had no idea I was even in the running for any award, but graciously accepted it, and gave a short but (hopefully) humorous speech.  I talked about how HR is tough because "no one likes HR, but if it's not a good time, it's a good story, so thanks for all the good stories."  People laughed and smiled.

After various awards were handed out, I had to present several times during the meeting, which meant sitting in front of the whole company for an hour, looking composed and happy.  I held the eagle in my hands, thinking about how my grandfather had more than once (wisely) counseled me to spend more time with the people who were important to me, and stop being the Company Girl.  Now I had a Company Girl award.  I have a lot of Company Girl awards.  What was I doing?

But it was also an eagle--the awards are all different, and this was the only one with an eagle.  Fitting for the granddaughter of a WWII vet.  The month before, my dad penned a blog entry about my grandfather entitled Admiration for an Old Eagle.  I thought about how much I admired my Old Eagle.  How during one of our last conversations (and we knew it was one of our last conversations), we had talked about how proud we were of each other.

So I put the eagle in my office, and last week, I went to Mexico (symbol on the flag: eagle).  I turned off work e-mail, and I spent it with Chris, the person who is most important to me.  I took time to actually relax and not be the Company Girl, even though I was on the company dime. 

I looked out on the ocean, one of the two my grandfather traversed to serve the country during the war.  And I hoped--actually, I knew--the at the Old Eagle had taught the Company Girl a thing or two.

Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their