Skip to main content

Pizza, nachos, and meatballs!

Weight last week: 155.4
Weight this week 155.2

It's not a disaster of Camilla proportions, but it's not Kate.  We'll give it a Sophie.
"WHY ARE YOU NOT EATING BREAKFAST AND DRINKING ENOUGH WATER?!"
I'm going to blame last week half on myself and half on the city of Philadelphia.  I traveled to Philly for work, and the hotel food was suspect (as most hotel food usually is).  I did pack a bag of healthy snacks (yay!) and then left it in the car overnight and had to throw it away (boo!).

When my coworker and I arrived, we asked the nice lady that checked us in about the hotel restaurant.  She said "it has lots of different types of food--something for everyone!"  That's hotel-speak for "don't eat there."  So I braved cobblestone streets and drove us to Tria, which is highly rated on yelp and described as Philadelphia's destination for wine, cheese, and beer lovers. Sign me up!

I managed to keep it light by sharing some bar snacks with my coworker--rosemary olives and fennel dusted almonds.  Then I had a salad of grilled asparagus, artichokes, white beans, tomato onion relish, and balsamic vinegar.  Plus a glass of wine (IT'S A WINE BAR, PEOPLE!) and a few bites of bread pudding.  And lots of water.


The rest of the time, we were at the hotel, trapped in a meeting room colder than a meat locker, so I drank way more hot tea and coffee with cream and sugar than I ever wanted to.  I did pass on the muffins, cinnamon buns, and bagels every morning and just had fruit.  For lunch, I did things like eating only one bite of cheesesteak (who wants hotel cheesesteak anyway?!) and had a salad instead.  For dinner, I stuck to salad, rice, and chicken, and was the only person that passed on dessert and the bread basket and the booze.
Yes.
So that's how I found myself charging $13 (thanks, expense report) of wheat thins and dehydrated apples at the hotel gift shop.  I also made the healthiest choices possible at the Delaware rest stop, passing on the Popeyes, Sbarro, Baja Fresh, etc. and grabbed a turkey, apple, and brie sandwich and a side of grapes for the drive home.
I was excited to be back in Virginia and hit up Trader Joe's for some healthy stuff, and get to exercise, and be in rooms that are normal temperatures.  Here's what today looked like:

Brunch - English muffin pizzas made with English muffins (200), turkey pepperoni (70), part-skim mozzarella cheese (70), and sauce (40).  Plus three glasses of water.

Snack - TJ's mini ice cream cone (70) and two more glasses of water.


Lunch - Salad made with lettuce & endive (10), tomatoes (20), and light champagne dressing (30).  More water.

Snack - Healthy nachos made with Trader Joe's organic tortilla chips (160), TJ's spicy fat-free black bean dip (60), and 2% cheddar cheese (70) and two more glasses of water.

Dinner - Turkey meatballs (200), brown rice (200), and a salad with roasted golden beets, honey goat cheese, and light champagne dressing (90).  Dessert was a meringue cookie (25).  Two more glasses of water.

Total: 1315 calories
Water: 10 glasses
Exercise: 20 minutes of yoga and a mile long walk

We'll give it a Kate:


Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their