Skip to main content

Black dress, red shoes

Something different for today...


Today I wore a black dress and red shoes.

A little after 2 p.m. I stopped by the funeral home to say goodbye to someone I looked up to.  He was many things: a retired Lt. Col, a husband, father, and grandfather, a Sunday School teacher, a friend.  Carrol Bryant was a fixture at my parents' church as I was growing up, and one of the kindest, most real Christians I ever met.  And by "real Christian," I don't mean someone that went to church every Sunday and always carried their Bible.  (Because as we know, going to church makes you as much of a Christian as sitting in your garage makes you a car.)  He was kind.  He was genuine.  He measured his life in love.

Mr. Bryant and my dad taught a Sunday School class together, which was an odd combination if there ever was one: the veteran marine, and the hippie who was once pepper sprayed for protesting the war.  But they got along famously.  I don't know that I ever saw Mr. Bryant be unkind to anyone.  In fact, his zest for life was apparent regardless of what he was doing: chaperoning a bunch of 6th graders on a camp retreat (God bless him), repairing a damaged house, cleaning cafeteria trays after Wednesday church supper.  If it needed to be done, he did it, and he did it with a huge smile.  In fact, if anyone wore red shoes--particularly my mother--Mr. Bryant would dance with them down the hallways of the church.

There came a time when many of the church staff members' kids because distanced and disenchanted with the church and its politics, and felt as though we were seen as "projects" by various ministers, deacons, elders, and others.  Not so with Mr. Bryant--it never even occurred to him see a project, he saw a person. He loved people in to the church, and that, believe it or not, is a rare quality to find.  Carrol made me want to be a better person.

So today I wore my black dress for my friend who was double my age, but had quadruple the heart.  And I wore my red shoes, because when you measure your life in love, sometimes you just have to take 'em for a spin down the hallway.

Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , press...

The Olympic Outfits of Johnny Weir, rated

The Verner girls are back, 4 years later, to discuss the outfits of Johnny Weir. (And the crowd goes wild!) Since writing about his Sochi wardrobe , it has been one of my top posts of all time. Other highly rated posts include a post about the palaces of Hawaii , how to pack for vacation , a Pampered Chef cheesy pasta recipe , and Meghan Markle tiara predictions . You guys are an eclectic group. Speaking of eclectic, let's talk about Johnny's overall look. First, let me start off by saying that yes, I know that Johnny looks like a cross between the Hunger Games, Pee Wee Herman, and Colonel Sanders. So obviously, I've seen that one post on Twitter about it. And that meme on Facebook. And that thread on Reddit. Johnny is not one for subtlety. One year he said he was going to go with a "not-so-literal" interpretation for his Kentucky Derby hat, and he then literally wore a crown of roses and a mint julep on his head. Basically, Johnny would not know subtl...

Baseline

Oooh look, I came back!  It's time for our first update on how "New Year, Old Me" is going. This week was pretty much documenting a baseline where I logged what I ate (for science!  Okay, not really--for pattern identification!), did a lot of stretching because my piriformis, psoas, and QL muscles are jacked, and tried to identify some changes I could make. Let's get right to... What I'm eating 'Tis the season for leftovers!  We try ( try  being the intent here) to minimize our food waste by keeping a running list of things we need to use up on the fridge.  And this week we actually made it through everything except the coleslaw and the applesauce (the coleslaw went to a landfill, while the applesauce lives to fight another day). My, my.  What pretty handwriting. Leftovers never sounded so lovely. I had some leftover ham from Christmas, Observed  on the 30th with my parents, and then some leftover fresh broccoli from a veggie tray my SIL made for ...