Skip to main content

Day 51

Weigh in day today, with 1 pound lost since Tuesday's post-vacation weight gain disaster.  26.4 pounds to go!

Today I'm grateful for farmer's markets.  In particular, the one we visit, The Purcellville Community Market, is awesome.  Even though I still wasn't feeling so hot this morning, I headed out to grab some iron-rich red meat for Kiki, who is now a proud (hopefully temporary) member of the Anemia Club with me.  
Mmmm, pesto.  And dressing.  And salad. And tomatoes.
Breakfast was wine shots with Lothar.  (I'm going to go with the theory that I'm killing my throat germs with booze.)  Lunch was all sorts of local/farmer's markety goodness.  We auditioned one of Lothar's specialty blends of sausage--Asian Habanero--for the wedding (verdict: A+), and I made a salad out of greens and tomatoes from the market, served with olive oil from the shop near Debbie.  Also some nice, processed hash browns from the freezer.

Snack was chips and salsa (aaaaaaaaaand the salsa's gone) from the market.  Snack was also had at a coworker's housewarming party, where I only had one mini cupcake (props to her for making them mini), and then veggies and fruit (props again to her for having healthy stuff).

My favorite of Betty's salsas, but really, they're all good.
Dinner was more markety deliciousness, this time chicken wings from Liberty Hill Farm.  Chris made a tasty marinade/sauce for them, and I had some clementines too.

Second snack was cheese and crackers.

Even though neither of us was feeling super hot, we sucked it up and went for a slow 20 minute walk outside on a very lovely evening.  Overall, an okay day/week.  I'll give it a Marie Antoinette.





Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their