Skip to main content

Resolutions, 2018


Time to check in on resolutions from last yearI had four, which were:

1. More maxi dresses!

2. More Cuban food!

3. Read all of the unread books in my bookcase before buying any new ones.

4. Spend at least 1 hour per week opposing hateful acts that threaten equality, education, or the environment and inspire others to do the same.
(You'll note that I'm not naming any political names here, because I think it's important to evaluate all ideas from an individual/agency/government body/etc. instead of issuing a blanket NO.)

So, how'd I do? Let's take 'em one by one.

1. More maxi dresses!

This resolution was borne out of wanting to depart a bit from my HR-Lady-meets-Baptist-choir-girl aesthetic. I did indeed wear some maxi dresses on vacation this year. And I broke out of the "black patent pumps with a neutral a-line dress" mold this year with red work pants!  And kelly green work pants!  And leopard print errything! And those fierce shoes I wore at Christmas! So let's call this one done.

"This girl is on FI-IRE!"
2. More Cuban food!

This went on the list because I love, love, love the Cuban food that we get while traveling in Florida.  And I have accepted that I'm never going to be able to make Cuban food to that standard.  So I'll just enjoy it a little extra when I get it.  (And maybe I will smuggle the homemade hot sauce out in my purse.)

"Come to me, My Precious."

3. Read all of the unread books in my bookcase before buying any new ones.

I did pretty well with this, and only bought one new book for myself, and that's because a friend wrote it!  (And I'm packing it to read on my next plane trip, I promise, Greg!  Also, if you're not Greg, but you do like sci fi/fantasy, check out his first book.)


But the most fascinating books I read were The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing, as well as Spark Joy: the Japanese Art of Organizing and Tyding Up. Both are by Marie Kondo, who is both precious and impressive.

When I read the first book, even I was thought "this might be a little too hippie, even for me." And keep in mind that I own three yoga mats.  But!  The more I read, the more her methods made sense.  So far, I have Konmari-ed allllll of my clothes, and now I'm moving on to books and then papers.  (There is a specific order to the Konmari-ing.)  

Suffice it to say that this topic alone could be its own blog post, so I'll save it for later.  But!  If you want a better way of finally organizing so that it sticks, I'd recommend you pick her books up from Amazon or the library.



4. Spend at least 1 hour per week opposing hateful acts that threaten equality, education, or the environment and inspire others to do the same.

This is the one I was really committed to.  If you read this post about my thoughts on how to respond to what happened in Charlottesville this year, you have an inkling of what I've been up to.  Here's what I was doing for an hour (or more) each week:

  • Writing postcards and calling my Congressional House Rep and two Senators to thank them for positive votes cast, statements made, and actions taken.
  • Also writing them, calling them, and going to their offices to talk to them about votes, statements, and actions that I didn't feel like represented me as their constituent.
  • Talking to registered voters in Virginia about the 2017 governor/house of delegates election, as well as the special election for the PWC Clerk of the Court, and helping them make a plan to vote.  
  • Helping people register to vote (or update their registration) if they hadn't registered yet.
  • Attending candidate forums and meet & greets to understand their positions, ask questions, and articulate concerns.
  • Writing postcards to voters in other states to remind them of local elections.
  • Reading.  SO much reading.  Not just taking talking points from one news source or one candidate, but also reading opposing viewpoints to try to make an informed view.


So, what are the new resolutions for 2018?

1. Konmari the entire house.  Before and after pictures (and obviously a whole lot more explanations) forthcoming!

2. Spend at least TWO hours per week opposing hateful acts that threaten equality, education, or the environment and inspire others to do the same. Time to double down!

3. Co-lead a group at work that focuses on healthy eating and exercise.  (Note: work has been stressful, and I have been eating my feelings.  They were delicious!  But now it's time to get rid of some of the side effects.)

That's it, that's everything (for now).  Happy 2018, errybody!

Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their