Skip to main content

Resolutions!

New Year Resolution Time!

Well, last year I had two resolutions:

  • Wear more maxi dresses and/or sun dresses.
  • Make more Cuban food.

Guess who didn't make this last year?
Unlike in 2014's resolutions (take more naps and have less accomplishments) I did not achieve these.  So they go back on the list:

1. More maxi dresses!
2. More Cuban food!
Gonna need more beaches, too.  And a floppy hat.
In 2017 we'll add:

3. Read all of the unread books in my bookcase before buying any new ones.

4. Spend at least 1 hour per week opposing hateful acts that threaten equality, education, or the environment and inspire others to do the same.  (You'll note that I'm not naming any political names here, because I think it's important to evaluate all ideas from an individual/agency/government body/etc. instead of issuing a blanket NO.)

The good news?  Last year I set a secret resolution to lose 15 pounds, and I ALMOST got there: I lost 11.  Part of the reason I didn't quite lose all 15 is because I want to make sure that I was adopting habits that I'd be willing to incorporate in to my daily life.  So I'm pretty excited about the 11 pounds.
This is an 11 pound jar of Nutella, for reference.
January 1, 2017
Breakfast was a square of this egg bake and a homemade latte.  

Have you ever seen those little egg muffins on Pinterest or Facebook and though "oh, I should make those?"  Well, if you like cleaning a muffin pan for a half hour, be my guest.  Otherwise, make this.  

I don't really have a recipe, but what's in this mine:

  • a half pound of low sodium ham, chopped
  • half a pint of grape tomatoes, halved
  • a frozen bag of chopped broccoli, steamed
  • a handful of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 8 eggs, beaten and seasoned with salt & pepper
All the stuff in a greased casserole, before adding the eggs.
You can put whatever you want in this, it's really flexible: onions, peppers, spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, bacon, sausage, any type of cheese.  These squares freeze and reheat really easily too.

Step 1: Set oven to 350 and grease a casserole dish.
Step 2: Chop all the stuff, and put it in the bottom of the dish.
Step 3: Lightly beat 8 eggs, season with salt & pepper, then pour over the stuff.  It won't cover all the stuff, but that's okay!
Step 4: Bake for 20ish minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
After adding the beaten eggs, but before baking.  Notice that the egg doesn't cover all the stuff.
Lunch was linguine with ricotta and roasted fennel.

Snack(?) was green tea from this hilarious mug, a few crackers, pieces of cheese, and salami.

Dinner was with my family for Christmas.  Don't worry, we know our holidays.  We had planned to get together on the 27th but my mom, like Queen Elizabeth, got really sick.  So we got together yesterday.

My parents made the main dish (bacon-wrapped chicken in a cream sauce) and brown rice, and the kids did sides (roasted carrots, sliced veggies, fruit) and dessert (pumpkin pie and cheesecake).  Here is my contribution.  The pumpkin pie is from this Weight Watchers recipe and I love it, and I brought some Tru Whip.

In order to confuse people even more about Which Verner Sister is Which, Amy and I unintentionally got each other the exact same thing for Christmas, specifically:
  • She got me a donation to The Trevor Project, which provides resources for suicidal gay youth, and a purple plaid scarf from Ireland, where she went this summer.
  • I got her a donation to the National Resource Defense Council to provide climate change education materials to teachers, and a purple plaid scarf from Scotland, where I went this fall.
For exercise, I biked for 20 minutes.  Overall, we'll give the day a Kate.  To me, this was one of her best 2016 looks, which she wore to a funeral.


January 2, 2017
Breakfast was sleeping and a latte.

My Christmas gift to myself was to make a bunch of freezer meals, which cost less than $100 in groceries for 48 portions.  We had the first one, cheesy shells and sausage, today.  It makes 8 servings.  Chris had two and I had one, so now we have leftovers for dinner and work lunches.  I also had some cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers.


For exercise, I did this PLUS 15 minutes on the bike, THEN 45 minute of yoga.

We went to Aldi today to pick up a few things, and Chris talked me in to getting an Aldi Thin Crust Pizza.  Aaaand...it was delicious!  Better than Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, etc.  I had 2 slices and a green salad.

On the "Resist hateful acts and inspire others to speak up" front, I did two things:

I put the phone numbers of my Senators and Representative in my cell phone, so I won't have to look them up every time I need to call.
Hey girl, hey.
I called the Attorney General's Comment Line at 202-353-1555, and left a message to the following effect:
“I’m calling to ask Attorney General Lynch to appoint a special counsel to investigate Russia’s hacking of both political parties. The conclusions of our entire intelligence community and bi-partisan Senators is that Russia took these actions. While Congress may conduct its own investigation, The Department of Justice is in a unique position to appoint a special counsel which would be independent of political influence. I ask you to use your power to ensure that the American people obtain a thorough investigation of these matters.”

For the book on my bookshelf, would you believe I still haven't finished Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them?  So I'm reading that.

Alas, no Cuban food yet this week.  And I think we know it's too cold for sundresses.  But we'll give the day a Kate, wearing the earrings Chris got me for Christmas.  They're super funky real pearls, and I love them!


So what about you?  What are your resolutions?


Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their