Skip to main content

And we're back - January 4, 2016

Welcome back to our regularly scheduled Shame Squad, interrupted for a nine day Hawaiian vacation.  (The suffering is real.)  I lost 3.6 pounds in December before I left (yay!) and then gained some of it back.  I'm still not sure of the exact number, because I don't really trust the scale after flying and eating salty airline snacks for fifteen hours.  First world problems, I know.
This is my favorite super blurry picture of us taken on vacation.
Speaking of terrible first world problems, today I broke a jar of local honey.  So that was a sticky, glass shardy mess to clean up.

My sleeping patterns were further jacked up by not sleeping during my first two flights, then staying up late at the emergency vet with a super sick cat, then waking up and extracting said cat from under the bed through various methods that eventually involved a broom (sorry kitty) to go in for Emergency Kitty Procedures with his regular vet, where he is staying for the night.  Kitty is stable now but probably hates me.  Also, big shout out to all three sets of our pet sitters, who I hope will still be our friends, given how much our cat vomited while we were gone.  Two out of three of you are already in my will, but I may just make it a hat trick.  Thank you and I'm sorry.
Sick kitty.
Slightly better kitty.
Very tired human.
Breakfast was non-existent (this is terrible, I know) because of cat extraction (also terrible).  In other news, apparently I've been working out enough that I'm now strong enough to pick up our bed.

Lunch was 4 ounces of porcupines (made with ground turkey, whole wheat panko, egg, Lipton onion soup mix) and a half cup of brown rice.  I'm trying to do better about eating actual food and not chemicals (as Michael Pollan recommends), so I'm gonna have to find something other than Lipton onion soup mix, magical ingredient that it is.  I may try this one.


Dinner was 3 ounces of ham, a serving of Pampered Chef Skinny Mac N Cheese, and a giant salad (butter lettuce, grape tomatoes, light champagne dressing).  I used the full fat versions of the dairy, again, because of the lack of chemicals.  So I split it in to six portions to control the calories.  I realize that if I'm really going to not eat chemicals, I'm going to have to give up pre-shredded cheddar cheese, which is covered in anti-caking agents.  The shred-it-yourself variety tastes better, plus I suppose it's a 5 minute bicep work out, doing the shredding.

Dessert was a Honolulu Cookie Company cookie.  So expensively delicious.  I literally shoved over $100 worth of these cookies in to my carry-on at the airport.  (Don't worry, I paid for them first).  In case you think I'm crazy, my grandmother loves these things, so I bought her the GIANT box.

Exercise was this HIIT workout, with skaters subbed for the jumping jacks because one foot has plantar fasciitis and the other got stabbed by a Hawaiian rock.  A beautiful Hawaiian rock.

My other exercise was cleaning up the carpet after the cat's sickness.  Warning: if you don't have pets and/or kids, don't look.  Also, it's fortunately kitty's wet food coming back up, and not out the other end.  Mostly.

Amy left me her Spotbot, which is my new favorite love of my life.  My only issue is that it is super loud, so I have to find something to do on another floor while it spots and bots.  Like listen to Jay-Z loudly while exercising.  I can only hope that it irritates my neighbors on the back side of the house--you know, the neighbors that do annoying things like Never Bring in Their Trash Cans or Put a Vacuum in the Recycling Bin or Open the Garage Door One Thousand Times a Day.

Anyway, this is the before pic:


This is the after.


This is one of about fifteen areas, so I have my work cut out for me.  It isn't all tropical vacations and glamour here.

Water was eight glasses.  Neeeeeed more, especially after the flying--my arms are SO tired.  (I'll be here all week, people.)

Today was really stressful because of the cat, and because of the house looking like a frat party.  But I still exercised and ate fairly well.  We'll give it a Princess Anne, because sometimes all you can do is work with what you have, even if it's kind of a hot mess.


Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their