Skip to main content

December 6th & 7th, 2015

Random discussion before we talk about food: I'm getting old, because last month I had to look up what "Netflix and chill" meant.  Apparently it means hooking up, and not "binge watching Game of Thrones and Eating Doritos," which is my definition, and which I like better.  Today Chris and I had to Google "squad goals."  We definitely have a squad; however, I'm not sure what our goals would be.  Maybe something involving hamburgers.  Suggestions are welcome.  Also, I think I have more than one squad.  Is that allowed?  How robust should the goals be?  Do they have to be SMART goals?  Should I write them down?  When is the annual review period?


Anyway, further proof that I'm old: I tried to use both Instagram and The Tweetie, and gave up.  I don't even know what or why a snapchat is.  It's okay though, you couldn't PAY me to be twenty again.

Well, it doesn't take long for me to do something worth of the York girls.  As a reminder, a great day gets a Kate or Beyonce or random European female monarch, a mostly good day gets someone along the line of Prince Harry, a semi-disaster that I try to salvage gets a Princess of York, and an unbridled disaster earns a Camilla.
Seriously, Cams!?  Why are you wearing BLUE to Charlotte's Christening?
Sunday began with Chris trying to helpfully to get me to go somewhere for pre-lunch, since we were meeting his work wife, Carmela, and her boyfriend, Joe, at a winery at noon.  Fortunately, I still had half of my ham/tomato/egg bake, so for breakfast I had that and a cup of coffee(?) with a half cup of whole milk.

Let's discuss the coffee.  I didn't drink it for three decades, but now I use it not to stay awake, but because it curbs my appetite.  Max is one cup a day, or I get a little squirrely.  

At first I drank it with a ton of cream and sugar because it tasted gross, but obviously that wasn't healthy.  So I've eventually worked my way down to a flavored kcup (hazlenut or vanilla) and lots of milk.  I used to do skim milk, but then My Lithuanian Coworker convinced me that less-processed full fat milk was better for me.  So now I drink a coffee thing that isn't quite a latte, but is more than just coffee.  I guess it's a Lazy Girl Latte.
Ain't nobody got time for that.
ANYWAY.

We met our friends at Doukenie, which has a special place in our hearts, as it is where we got our wedding wine.  Carmela and Joe are members there (a direct result of drinking wine at our wedding), so we met them to pick up their cases.  

I do enjoy seeing these particular friends, because Carmela is just like Chris, and Joe is just like me.  (A male Alyssa--can you imagine?)  Joe and I discussed the appropriate places to leave tags when you take them off new clothes you just bought (in a neat little pile until your spouse loses their mind and throws them away) and where to put excess hair strands in the shower (on the wall--bonus points for making fun shapes for the other person to find).  At any rate, this is the result of us hanging out:
I have no idea what we're doing here.
Another mutual friend works there, and he was behind the counter pouring.  Because there was no one there (guess everyone was shopping and/or watching football?), he kept giving us free tastings.  And free baklava.  And free crackers.  (See where this is going?)


All told, I think(?) I had the following:

  • Two glasses of wine
  • Less than half of a bar of chocolate
  • A third of a cup of oyster crackers
  • Tiny baklava
  • Two laughing cow cheese wedges and some rosemary savory crisps that I sneaked in in my purse
  • A half an apple that I also sneaked in
Then, because we had not done enough damage, we went to Adroit Theory, where I kept myself to a 3 ounce beer and a quarter piece of cheesecake. 

Then it was time for a late lunch.  (I know.  Insanity.)  I drank a bunch of unsweet tea, had a piece of foccacia bread with olive oil, a few bites of the crab dip that our friends ordered, and then eventually did something sensible and had seared scallops with mushrooms, spinach, and cauliflower puree.  I checked with our waitress, and she confirmed that the dish was pretty healthy, and not steeped in butter.  While everyone else had dessert, I had a cappuccino, which was REALLY strong/bitter, so I added three sugars. 
I ate two of the scallops and all of the veggies.
Then I was full, so Joe ate the rest of the scallops.  With his hands.
You can't take us anywhere.
For that reason, for dinner, I just had a green salad with tomato and light champagne dressing.  And then I did 15 minutes of HIIT while watching the President's address (lunges, lateral raises, push ups, squats, sit ups, bridges, etc.), followed by FitSugar's 10 minute arm workout.

Calories: ???/1400 (Let's not ruin this with numbers)
Water: 8 glasses

Like I said: yesterday earns a York girl.  Here's Eugenie, everyone!  God bless her, she's trying.  She looks pretty cute here.


Today was much better.  Breakfast was a hard boiled egg (70), half an apple (60), and a quarter cup of raspberries (15).  Bob Harper would be so proud!  Rule #6!

Then I went to the doctor's because of shingles (and not the fun kind that you put on your roof), after which I went home to temporarily die.  Seriously, the prodromal stage is six sorts of horrible, and features fever, chills, and a headache so bad that even the sound of your own breathing is too much to handle.  Yaaaaaaaaaaaay?  So I slept that off.

For lunch, I made some healthy mac & cheese (300 calories, secret ingredients: cauliflower and Greek yogurt), which I had with 4 ounces of low sodium ham (120 calories) and a half cup of steamed broccoli.  I have a rule that if I'm still hungry after I eat (which I was), I wait 20 minutes before eating anything else.  Twenty-five minutes later, I was still hungry, so I had a green salad with tomatoes and light champagne dressing (60)  Twenty minutes after that, I was STILL hungry, so I had another half serving of mac & cheese (150 calories).  That did the trick.


For dinner, I made Skinnytaste's Chicken & White Bean Enchiladas with Creamy Salsa Verde (230 calories) and another salad (60 calories).  Dessert was dark chocolate (100 calories) and green tea. 

No exercise today, per the doctor.  Lame.  

Calories: 1255/1400
Water:10 glasses, I think

We'll give it...hmm, like, a Princess Madeleine of Sweden.  She's not my favorite, but she does try.

Does that dress look familiar, by the way?  Perhaps you are thinking of this:


Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their