Skip to main content

Part 4 - I'd like to thank the Academy

First, an apology: it has taken me over a week to recognize some of my fabulous donors.  Month-end at work it always a busy time, and quarter-end (which this was) is even busier.  Aaaaand we did 7 TIMES MORE business than we usually did.  So it was insane.  At the end of the week, my CFO boss came in my office, and I leaned back in my chair in an "I give up" type of fashion.  He said to me "it has really been a long week for you, especially with month-end," to which I replied "month-end was last week, wasn't it?"  Nope.  It just seemed that way.
You're telling me, K-Middy.
That does not mean I love you any less, fabulous donors.  Think of the brief hiatus as similar to the Queen's annual retreat to Sandringham.

We'll begin with my mother-in-law, Joyce.  In looking at pictures of my husband as a child, I have to say this: Joyce was a foxy new mom.  Now that Joyce is a foxy mom of teenagers, twenty and thirty-somethings, she has perfected that perfect "mom look."  You know the one: the "I love you and I will also kill you where you stand."  My husband tells me that she got to exercise that look often, like on occasions when he lit rolls of her paper towels on fire in the parking lot.  (This was last week.  Okay, just kidding.)

Joyce is very attentive to people and animals that need help, collecting them in her back yard.  The animals, not the people.  That makes her very similar to her royal doppelganger, who was a foxy young mom when she was a princess, has perfected the "mom look," and is the head of her own foundation, as well as The Royal Board of Education and Care of Handicapped Persons, and the Foundation for Aid for Drug Addicts.

That makes Joyce Queen Sofia of Spain!  Here she is doing her best "mom look."

I told you she had some serious bling:

And here she is in 1981.  It was a good year.

I'm very excited to write about my friend Virginia.  Virginia and I met because our sisters went to William & Mary together.  Virginia went to (and now works at) William & Mary.  I like to eat sandwiches from The Cheese Shop at William & Mary--that's my connection.

Virginia is excellent in her chosen field of human resources (which, I may add, is the most noble of all professions).  She's also a No-Nonsense individual: think Debutante meets Iron Lady.  She's very stylish, and used to be my Jewelry Dealer, until she retired from Lia Sophia.  So she made ME stylish by association.  Most importantly, I so strongly admire Virginia for her rock solid faith.  She's sent me numerous cards during hard times over the years, often with her favorite verses.

So I have the perfect royal in mind: Maria Teresa, Grand Duchess of Luxemborg.  Girl has some serious style:

 And some serious bling.  Look at this thing!

AND she has Privilege du Blanc, meaning that she's a Catholic Duchess, so she can wear white when meeting the Pope.

Next is Brent, my husband's best friend.  Brent is literally an eagle scout, and still opens the car door for his wife every time she gets in (chivalry is NOT dead)!  He's also an avid runner, doing both half marathons and regular marathons.  Brent is responsible for our running adventures, so I have him to thank for me being able to dress up like an Ewok.  And I also have him to hate for getting the "pleasure" of waking up at 4 a.m. to do so.  Brent is a pretty fast runner too, clocking in a under 2 hours for a half marathon.

That's why his royal spirit animal is Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark.  The Prince is a triathele and a marathoner, and clocks in at a fairly impressive 3 hour and 22 minute pace for the whole 26 miles.  He support the scouts, and he's a dragon boater.  When are you going to take up dragon boating, Brent?

Here's Frederik, looking all GQ:

Here he is running.  Note: no one looks good running.

And here he is with beaver puppets.  Of course.

And finally, we have Anna.  Anna is my cousin's girlfriend.  She's also a nursing student and at last count, I think she had about twenty jobs.  I know that she works at the hardware store and the putt putt place and the hosptial, and maybe she also works on a nuclear submarine or something, I don't know.

Because my cousin Josh is the youngest in the family, we always make him go first in the buffet line at family events.  As soon as the prayer is done, we all yell "okay, Josh!"  When Anna started coming to family events, she was shy and so I told her that she was The First Lady of (Whatever Holiday), and she had to go 2nd, after Josh.  It made her turn red at first (sorry, Anna) but now she's used to my foolishness.

So we're going to go off the royalty-script a little bit, and give Anna a different title: she's The First Lady of Mexico, Angelica Rivera Hurtado.  Much like Anna, she has lots of jobs, as she's a singer, model, and actress.  And as the First Lady, she visits lots of hospitals to see patients.

The Primera Dama de Mexico was recently in London, and she totally killed it.  Here are the pics:




Thank you again my fabulous donors!  Want to be a fabulous donor yourself?  I'll do one more round of blogging to compare you wonderful people to European monarchs.  After that, I will have officially run out of non-ugly, non-ridiculous royals.

Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their