Skip to main content

2014 in Review

The Today Show recently asked Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski questions to recap 2014. They are hilarious, so you should totally check out what they said.  Since Amy and I are also hilarious, we decided to answer as well.

Royal baby No. 2: Boy or girl?
Alyssa: Guuuuuuurl...I hope it's a girl. As I've said before, I hope they name her Diana or Beyonce. Diana Beyonce Cambridge. Wait, don't you get, like, four names when you're a royal? Diana Beyonce Alyssa Johnny Weir Cambridge. Love it.
Amy: I also hope it's a girl, so I can see what a crazy toddler-size British fascinator looks like.

What do you think of Prince George?
Alyssa: I think that Baby King will one day rule us all. Johnny Weir is right, he does steal. He also throws things. He threw a toy Bilby in Australia. But to be fair to Baby King, I think he was doing that in protest of Kate wearing a dress recycled from a previous tour.
Amy: I love his short pants and his chubby cheeks. It makes me want to get some short pants and chubby cheeks for myself.



Sochi Olympics: What is your favorite memory?
Alyssa: I, too, feel like Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski were the breakout stars of the Sochi Olympics. I also liked that the contingent from Bermuda wore shorts and flip flops. Oh, and when that 5th Olympic ring didn't light up at the Opening Ceremonies, that was fun too. Putin probably killed someone over that.
Amy: Wait, there were Olympics this year? 
"Amy, don't even front.  You reviewed our outfits."
Ellen’s Oscar selfie was a huge deal. Who would be in your perfect selfie?
Alyssa: Gosh, this one is hard. You would expect me to say Beyonce and Kate Middleton, right? But I'm afraid they'd just make me look fat. Hmmm, how about Thor? And Legolas. They can represent the "beautiful mythical blonde men" category. Also, Pope Francis. He keeps it real. And Xanax. Can't forget the Xanax.
Amy: How do you put Xanax in a selfie? Pills in your hand or just the bottle?
Alyssa: Either.  I'm not gonna tell anyone how to take their Xanax selfie.  It's a personal decision.  But I'd go with hands.




George Clooney got hitched this year. Thoughts?
Alyssa: Eh, whatever. He's not my type. (See previous answer regarding "beautiful mythical blonde men" category.)
Amy: The whole thing looked pretty classy. Though, he didn't have an ice cream truck at his wedding like *I* did.
"Wait, I could have had an ICE CREAM TRUCK!?!"
“Fancy,” “All About that Bass” or “Shake it Off”: What’s your vote for song the year?
Alyssa: Is stabbing your eardrums with an ice pick an option? My favorite song was "I'm Not the Only One" by Sam Smith. Honestly, he could sing anything and it would sound good. "Same Smith Sings Public Domain Songs" would be such a great album. I'd totally put "Camptown Races" on repeat.
Amy: I actually like "Shake if Off." I think this means that I'm secretly a teenage girl.


How was doing the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Alyssa: It wasn't bad. I did it for work, and it was a warm day. Everyone was worried about me doing the challenge in a dress and heels. Whatever, if you can't do something in a dress and heels, it's probably not worth doing.
Amy: I didn't do the Ice Bucket Challenge. I enjoyed watching everyone else doing the Ice Bucket Challenge on Facebook.


What really happened between Jay Z and Solange in the elevator?
Alyssa: She forgot her Xanax.
Amy: I think they were arguing about whether “Fancy,” “All About that Bass” or “Shake it Off” was the best song of the year.



Any other thoughts on 2014?
Alyssa: Well, Amy got married, so that was good. And she and I had wine and ice cream for dinner one night. That was nice. So I'd say 2014 was a pretty great year, even though Amy STILL didn't pass the 4th grade again.
Amy: It's that blasted Long Division. Gets me every time!
Alyssa: Maybe if you weren't so busy trying to get short pants and chubby cheeks, you could focus on your homework.  Better luck in 2015!

"That would please Baby King greatly."

Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their