Skip to main content

April 29th & 30th

I joined Weight Watchers...again.  As Diana replied when asked if it was her first time joining: "it is anyone's first time?!"  

There are a few things I dislike about it--if you aren't careful, you can skip out on protein & carbs.  And it incentivizes you to eat chemical-laden low fat 'food.'  But as long as you, ya know, actually read about nutrition, it's a good way to stay on track.

Oh, and you know how Oprah is always going on about how she can eat SO MUCH BREAD on Weight Watchers?  Well, just 7 croutons are 13% of my daily points, so I don't think so, OPRAH. 
Lie, Oprah.  Lies.
So on to what I ate this weekend...

Saturday
Breakfast

  • 2 Gordon Ramsay eggs with chives
  • 2 slices of center cut bacon


You'll notice that these eggs are SUPER YELLOW.  That's because they are from a farm in Ohio.  One of my employees brought them to me.  HR Ladies: you can pay us in money, calendars, or poultry products.

And what are Gordon Ramsay eggs, you might ask?  They're an amazingly delicious way of making scrambled eggs that turn out super flavorful and not dry.  I didn't use as much butter as suggested (in fact, I used just a tiny bit of light butter w/ canola oil) and put in a little sour cream at the end instead of creme fraiche (because who has that lying around?).  I'm sure Greek yogurt would work too, if that's your jam.  But not actual jam.  That would be gross.
Heh.
Here's how to make them.  Also, Gordon totally burns the toast in this video.

Lunch
We went to the semi-annual Members Party at Adroit Theory.  Instead of having a bbq buffet like usual, this time they did small bites with beer pairings.  I managed to avoid the tacos (I know, right?!) and the pork spare ribs, and got extra tuna tartare on cucumber canapes.  I also brought a giant bag of sliced veggies & dip so I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on food.

  • 1 cup of cucumbers
  • 1/2 cup of bell pepper strips
  • 1 1/2 cups of tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons of homemade ranch dip
  • Some tuna tartare
  • 10 ounces of beer samples

The new beer released was called War Cannibal, which is a maple whiskey barrel aged Russian imperial milk stout that is 15% alcohol by volume.  It is so boozy that we both agreed that we can't even drink it (we get 2 bottles with our membership) and that we'd be better off baking with it.  Who wants cake?! 


Dinner

  • Skirt Steak
  • Black beans, fresh corn, avocado, and jalapeno
  • Watermelon


Snack
My bff and her husband were in town to visit her parents, so we met them at Bad Wolf Public House to catch up on things.  We totally didn't talk about our crazy families.  We did talk about the Nintendo Switch, European vacations, dogs, Mustangs, and the government and the will-they-or-won't-they shutdown.  (Sorry for the nonsense, federal peeps and contractors.)  I drank and ate:

  • So much unsweet iced tea--seriously, props to our server who refilled my tea four times
  • Goat cheese, manchego, and a few crackers.  Google doesn't think that manchego is a cheese, and is suggesting that I call it henchman.  "Here, have some of this delicious henchman cheese!"

By way of exercise, I walked to the grocery store and back when I needed breakfast provisions.

Sunday
Breakfast

  • 1 Gordon Ramsay egg with chives (mental note: buy more eggs)
  • 2 slices of center cut bacon

So why not turkey bacon?  Because depending on what your goals are, center cut pork bacon might be a better choice for you. Or not.  Read and make your own decision.  Or, alternately, don't read and just eat a lot of delicious bacon. You're an adult.  If you're a child, I kind of question your choice of reading material.


Lunch
We had lunch with Chris' dad at Bartaco, who told us about his about his trip to Kenya, and we talked about exercising and injuries and other things people who bike/run/exercise a lot discuss.

  • 4 little pork tacos wrapped in lettuce instead of tortillas
  • 2 cups of gazpacho with homemade croutons
  • 1 cup of pineapple

Dinner


  • Bowtie pasta with spinach, tomatoes, feta, olives, parsley, and dill.  Plus a cup of watermelon.


In case anyone was counting, I ate 10 servings of fruit and vegetables each day.  It involved a lot of chopping.  (Most of which was graciously done by Chris.)

For a weekend of healthy eating, we'll give it a Kate!  She wore this ice blue gown on a recent visit to Paris.  It's by Jenny Packham, and up close it looks like a poor imitation of an Elie Saab (for like, the four of you that even know what I'm talking about here.)

And that is why we're going with the long shot here.  From far away?  Perfection.  (Trust me, you don't want to get any closer.)

Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their