Skip to main content

A roller coaster month...

I'm so overdue on so many things.

I owe my Fabulous Donors to the Krispy Kreme Challenge postcards and poems and even a Repli-Kate.  I owe you, my legions of adoring fans (okay, there's like, 200 of you) an update on the race.  I owe Fitch a blog post about what a sweet, funny, fantastic kitty buddy he was.  I owe Discover about $3,000 (see previous sentence about sweet, funny, fantastic kitty).  And I'm pretty sure I owe the Gum Spring Library some books.  Good luck with that one, guys.

February has been one of those "stop the ride, I want to get off!" months.  I decamped to Fort Xanax for a few days, and went on a fairly long business trip, and dealt with people making dumb decisions at work (no, getting drunk at work is not a 'thing people do,' and now doing lots of paperwork is a thing THIS person has to do).  So I'm behind.  

But.  BUT!  I'm not stress eating, and I started going back to the gym, so let's begin there, shall we?

We returned from my business trip/Anti-Sadness Disney Campaign on Monday, and I weighed myself after eating ALL the pastries at Be Our Guest and drinking ALL the liquor in all the countries in Epcot and doing ALL the sitting in the Conference Hall.

It was not pretty.

So the healthy eating started anew on Tuesday:

  • Breakfast - Egg, half an apple, coffee with milk, vitamins
  • Lunch - Chikfila nuggets, side salad, buffalo sauce, and one piece of dark chocolate
  • Dinner - Taco Tuesday!  Turkey tacos in high fiber tortillas, with sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, and green onions, fat-free refried beans
  • Exercise - None




Wednesday was the first day back at the gym in 3 weeks:

  • Breakfast - Egg, raspberries & blueberries, coffee with milk, vitamins
  • Lunch - Turkey sammich on wheat, salad with light champagne dressing, and one piece of dark chocolate
  • Dinner - Beet linguine with goat cheese, swiss chard and walnuts, plus another salad
  • Exercise - 30 minutes of strength and cardio.  I had to go down 2-4 pounds on all of the hand weights. My abs were confused that I was doing exercise.
Fresh Beet Linguine  with Goat Cheese, Swiss Chard & Toasted Walnuts ingredients


Thursday

  • Breakfast - Egg, raspberries & blueberries, coffee with milk, vitamins (hey, if it works, it works)
  • Lunch - Chickfila nuggets, their new superfood kale/cherry/nut salad (majorly delicious) and one piece of dark chocolate
  • Dinner - Grilled tilapia, steamed broccoli, garlic mashed potatoes, salad, and a piece of bread
  • Exercise - 30 minutes of strength and cardio.  My abs finally figured it out.

Friday

  • Breakfast - Changing things up with a clementine, THEN blueberries & raspberries, coffee with milk, and vitamins
  • Lunch - I'm embarrassed by the amount of Chickfila I ate this week.  Nuggets, side salad, two pieces of dark chocolate, and 6 whole grain crackers.  I was a hungry girl.
  • Dinner - Roast, green beans, and mashed potatoes courtesy of Colleen and Tyler, who did an awesome job at hosting a dinner party in their new place, plus half of a Belgian Special from Old Ox
  • Snack - Cheese
  • Exercise - 30 minutes of strength and cardio, 15 minutes on the exercise bike.


Let's talk about what DoCam has been up to here lately.  (The Kate Continuum seems to be moving away from K-Middy to DoCam, which is an abbreviation for Duchess of Cambridge.)  She guest edited the UK version of The Huffington Post this week, and devoted the issue entirely to mental health.  Her editorial was on point.  Nicely done, DoCam.  Nicely done.

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 9.26.29 AM
She really nailed it: "William and I would not hesitate to seek help for our children if they needed it. We hope to encourage George and Charlotte to speak about their feelings, and to give them the tools and sensitivity to be supportive peers to their friends as they get older. We know there is no shame in a young child struggling with their emotions or suffering from a mental illness."

Preach it girl, preach.

She enlisted experts (my favorite was Rachel Egan, pint-sized mental health activist, who wrote an article called "5 things I wish they would have told me about my mental illness as a teenager") as well as celebrities.  Like this lady:
Huffington Post UK
Can I just also say here in the caption that regardless of where one stands on politics, it pisses me off to no end when people give the First Lady crap because she's trying to get people to eat better and exercise.  It makes me want to cuss.  So I will.  For fuck's sake, quit trying to tear her down over the fact that she wants people to be healthy!

Kate looked professional, yet chic and adorable in separates for her guest-editing gig, and was then on fleek with a red coat at a Royal Air Force engagement.  As one of my favorite blogs noted, "the Duchess of Cambridge dusted off a treasured artifact from her burgeoning royal coat museum."  Hee!  Also hilarious: when Wills worked as a search and rescue pilot for the RAF, his colleagues would buy Will & Kate tea towels and mugs to use around the office.
Chris Jackson/WPA Rota/Nunn Syndication/Polaris

/PA Wire/PA Wire/

And finally, let's not forget that Johnny Weir is commentating Skating today at 4 p.m. EST on NBC.  Maybe he'll wear his new skunk hat.

All right, e'rybody, that's it....for now.  More updates soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their