Skip to main content

Hawaii, Day 1

Aloha, my peeps!  We're currently on our Hawaiian honeymoon!  "But Alyssa," you are thinking, "you got married in October."  To which I will respond "yes, but the Virginia weather in October is lovely, and the Virginia weather in February is not."  At any rate, please enjoy your terrible ice storm.

I started writing this at 5 a.m. my time, which is 10 a.m. your time, for all you East Coasters. I'm not very good at making this particular time zone change, but that's fine, because it means that we can go hiking when it is not too hot and not too crowded. Which is what we did Friday.

We had already done Diamond Head on a previous trip, and had not found it hard at all. Neither did the Japanese tourists we saw that did it with HIGH HEELS on, ya'll. but let me assure you, no one was wearing high heels up Koko Crater.  In fact, they like to remind you a lot that you will probably die:


Koko Crater involves a 1200 foot altitude change over the course of 1100 steps. It's straight up an old rail car track.  But Chris and I have been working with a trainer that is a fan of squats and lunges while hurling kettle bells about, so we thought we'd do it for her.  "For Beehive!" we exclaimed over breakfast.  (Obviously we call her Beehive, which is an affectionate mockery of her actual last name.)
Sure, we'll just climb up this for a little morning activity!
Even though I'm asthmatic, and I didn't bring an inhaler, I thought, "I can do this! I will just stop if I need to catch my breath!"  At first, that was every 100 stairs. Then 25. Then 10. Then whenever the hell I felt like it.   I wouldn't have made it had it not been very windy (thanks, wind)!  And when it started to rain a little, I was even happier.
"And she's climbing the stairway to...asthma heaven."
Along the way, the number of stairs you've gone is painted on the cable car track. "Oh, I've passed 300," you happily say to yourself. "I'm more than a fourth of the way there!"  By 500, the altitude change hits you as you begin to wonder "why am I doing this again?"  As you approach 600, you encounter this.


What can I say?  Everyone loves climbing over a rickety bridge while staving off an asthma attack.  Seeing as how I am afraid of both bridges AND heights, this was...interesting.  I might have used both my hands and feet, and silently cursed and thanked Beehive for making me do all those planks and mountain climbers.

But the view from the top was worth it.


Don't we look happy and red?  We're not sunburned, just exhausted.



After we did this, we went back to the hotel and THEN got sunburned.  Turns out that having some mixed drinks and sitting in the sun after a hike will make you fall asleep at the pool.  So I'm hilariously sunburned on only one side of my body, because I fell asleep on my side.

Continuing our tour of Beautiful Places, we re-visited our singular favorite on any of the islands: the Byodo-In Temple.  I think it's physically and mentally impossible to feel anything but calm here.

I rang the bell...

And visited a giant Buddha that is carved of wood and coated in gold.

On tap for tomorrow: we take a Food Tour of Honolulu and eat weird stuff!

Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their