Skip to main content

The return of The Shame Squad!

So you've noticed that there haven't been many Shame Squad or Facebook status updates for the last few months.  And why is that?

Insanity Wolf and I have been busy.
As a Neighborhood HR Lady, I'm keenly aware that not all information belongs on social media.  Some of you have been kind enough to check in and make sure I'm okay.  I know others of you wanted to ask, but didn't want to pry.  I appreciate both approaches.   And if you've called, written, texted, etc. and I've been slow or non-responsive, I'm sorry.  I assure you I wasn't being flaky on purpose.
My life model since April.
I'm a big believer that you can endure anything, as long as it is temporary.  It's a strategy I've used many times in my life, and if you think about it, I'm sure you have too.  The problem, though, is when you're telling yourself something is temporary, and it's not all that temporary.  Put another way, Winston Churchill famously said "when you're going through hell, keep going." But what if all you're doing is going through hell only to arrive at another hell?
WHAT THEN, WINSTON?!
What happens that even if your brain is still committed to the idea that "this is temporary!" eventually your body catches on to the fact that "no, it isn't!"  So your body stops doing bodily things, like processing food, or regulating your blood pressure, or breathing, in an attempt to get you to sit the hell down.  And as you're careening towards kidney failure, you brain finally decides that "hey, maybe we should deal with this not-so-temporary situation after all."
"Oh, my.  That does not sound good at all."
So what was this non-temporary thing?  We're not gonna go in to that here, because in the wise words of Beyonce, "you know I'm not gonna dis you on the internet, 'cause my momma taught me better than that."

Preach it, B!
But I think we're turning a corner, and should be back to our regularly scheduled Kate Middleton-Beyonce-hilariousness soon.  Speaking of K-Middy, here's my favorite pregnancy outfit she's worn:
I love that she just had a regular coat taken out a little.
And I'm a sucker for her tartan scarf, which you can buy here for the low, low price of 250 British pounds, which is around $400.
And my least favorite pregnancy outfit:
Cruella DeVille called and she wants this back.
In the interim, I owe some serious thanks to a lot of people, not the least of whom are my coworkers and former coworkers turned friends:
I'd label you, but you're ALL Batman and Wonder Woman to me.
My family was awesome, even though I question their choice in hats:

My church ladies talked to Little Baby Jesus a TON on my behalf:

And my old school friends were fabulous:

I helped Alyssa through a totally sucktacular time, and all I got was this t-shirt.
The person that this sucked equally for was Chris.  Because as horrifying as it is to lie in bed while your body starts dissolving itself in acid, it sucks more for the person that has to watch and can't do anything about it.  At first it was like this:
"Girl, I'm gonna pick you and your kidneys up, and we're gonna get through this."
Which, after a long time, eventually gave way to this:
"Girl, we got this."
And finally, we ended up here.
 "Everything is gonna be all right.  We're fabulous."
So don't you worry, like I said, we'll be back to our regular foolishness soon.  And I'll leave you with this:
Truth, Tina Fey.  Truth.










Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , pressed o

New Year, Old Me

And, after a brief 5 year hiatus, we're back! For those of you who are new here, for a number of years I wrote a blog featuring an assortment of things I found interesting: the British Royal Family, sarcastic hot takes on award show fashion, travel, and (the reason I started it) to help me keep stay on track with eating healthier food. Recently, one of my doctors suggested that I start the blog back up and I thought it was a good idea for a few reasons: chief among them to help with some health goals, plus I'd like to use it as a way to stay connected with some colleagues that departed at work. By way of an understatement, 2023 was a smidge rough.   My dad got really sick in April, and after that, it was a slalom of the American healthcare system / in-home healthcare / nursing facilities / ambiguous loss & living grief .  Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the company I work for turned 24 and, well, sometimes 24 year old companies behave like 24 year old humans.  They're fun

Kate Middleton, Goofball

My new favorite K-Middy gif came out today.  She and William went for a walk during their day off in Australia, and she totally did this: Big Willy and Babykins (their nicknames for each other) have talked about Kate's sense of humor before in interviews.  Apparently she's funny and sarcastic--now we're more than just hair soul mates!  Below are some of my favorite non-posed Kate pics. They're probably watching horses.  So British of them. This is at the Olympics.  She seems concerned. I'd also like to point out that I'm jealous of how good her ponytail looks. It sounds like she's saying "OMG no way!" Man, I hope that's what she's talking about with the fancy church people at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee service. Again, I suspect ponies are involved here. If you watch interviews with her (and I do) she makes this face all the time.  I LOVE IT. Celebrities: they're just like us!  They hide behind their