Skip to main content

Day 80

I was seriously awesome in the kitchen yesterday.
Kitchen bad-assery!
I slept in, and then got up and made the patties for spicy black bean burgers.  Then I decided that I wasn't really feelin' those (but no worries, they freeze).  So I decided to to whip up some Baked Cheddar Broccoli Rice Cups.  You'll notice that these aren't super healthy in the recipe, so I changed it by:
  • Cooking 1 cup of brown rice in 2 1/2 cups of fat free chicken broth for 45 minutes instead of using instant white rice
  • Adding the 10 oz of thawed and squeezed broccoli, as directed
  • Using 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese, but the kind made with 2% milk
  • Adding a quarter cup of fat-free sour cream mixed with a teaspoon of dry ranch seasoning instead of ranch dressing
  • Using only one egg instead of two
  • Adding salt and pepper to taste, as directed
Spoon in to twelve muffin cups that have been sprayed with cooking spray.  Top each "muffin" with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  And they're only 3 points each, or two for 6 points!  If you don't want to bother with dirtying a muffin tin, I actually thought it tasted better before added the egg and baked them.  So you could just stir together the rice, broccoli (cook it more), cheese, sour cream, salt & pepper, and call it a day.  But it's delicious either way.
Mmmm, cheese and rice in muffin form.
So lunch was two cheesey broccoli rice muffins, 3 ounces of ham, a cup of tomatoes, and another quarter cup of fat-free sour cream with ranch seasoning.  Total: 10 points

Then I got an awesome massage at Adagio Therapeutic Massage.  During my massage we discussed ice cream, so on the way home I got 4 ounces of no sugar added vanilla frozen yogurt from Sweet Frog.  Total: 2 points
Gosh, I love getting a massage with full makeup and flowers strewn in my hair!
Dinner was a half cup of edamame with a teaspoon of canola oil, five pieces of sushi, and a cup of milk.  Total: 11 points

Snacky time was eight tortilla chips and salsa, then four tootsie rolls.  Total: 3 points

Liquids: 6/6
Dairy: 2/2 
Vitamin: 1/1
Healthy Oil: 1/2
Fruits/Veggies: 4/5
Protein: 3/2
Whole Grains: yes--brown rice and tortilla chips
Exercise: yes--a 25 minute walk

Total: 26/26 points  
Weekly Points: 0/49 for the week
   

In honor of a successful and relaxing day, I give it a Duchess, looking happy and tan in Honiara.

Popular posts from this blog

Freezer Meal #2 - Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples

This is the second part of my foray in to freezer meals - the first part can be found here  for Cheesy Shells and Italian Sausage. Today we're making a pork and apples recipe adapted from The Pampered Chef.  I love this one--it's so easy to assemble in advance, most of the ingredients you likely already have, and it couldn't be easier to fix the day you want to eat it (dump stuff in pan, bake). So yummy.  And pretty. Maple Pork Tenderloin with Apples For this you'll need the ingredients below.  You probably have the oil, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and bags in your pantry!  You can also easily divide this recipe if you usually only cook for 2-3 people at a time (that's what I do when I make it). 2 pork tenderloins , about 2 pounds total - they can be expensive, so pick these up on sale 3 apples - I prefer honeycrisp but use what you like, or take one of these suggestions 1 small red onion 1/4 cup canola oil 1 clove garlic , press...

The Olympic Outfits of Johnny Weir, rated

The Verner girls are back, 4 years later, to discuss the outfits of Johnny Weir. (And the crowd goes wild!) Since writing about his Sochi wardrobe , it has been one of my top posts of all time. Other highly rated posts include a post about the palaces of Hawaii , how to pack for vacation , a Pampered Chef cheesy pasta recipe , and Meghan Markle tiara predictions . You guys are an eclectic group. Speaking of eclectic, let's talk about Johnny's overall look. First, let me start off by saying that yes, I know that Johnny looks like a cross between the Hunger Games, Pee Wee Herman, and Colonel Sanders. So obviously, I've seen that one post on Twitter about it. And that meme on Facebook. And that thread on Reddit. Johnny is not one for subtlety. One year he said he was going to go with a "not-so-literal" interpretation for his Kentucky Derby hat, and he then literally wore a crown of roses and a mint julep on his head. Basically, Johnny would not know subtl...

Baseline

Oooh look, I came back!  It's time for our first update on how "New Year, Old Me" is going. This week was pretty much documenting a baseline where I logged what I ate (for science!  Okay, not really--for pattern identification!), did a lot of stretching because my piriformis, psoas, and QL muscles are jacked, and tried to identify some changes I could make. Let's get right to... What I'm eating 'Tis the season for leftovers!  We try ( try  being the intent here) to minimize our food waste by keeping a running list of things we need to use up on the fridge.  And this week we actually made it through everything except the coleslaw and the applesauce (the coleslaw went to a landfill, while the applesauce lives to fight another day). My, my.  What pretty handwriting. Leftovers never sounded so lovely. I had some leftover ham from Christmas, Observed  on the 30th with my parents, and then some leftover fresh broccoli from a veggie tray my SIL made for ...